Learning Tool | Padlet
Description: Padlet is a web app. A “padlet” is a digital space where users post “notes” that are visible to others and available for reactions and comments.
Why do I use Padlet to facilitate digital learning?
- make their ideas visible to the instructor, other learners, and themselves.
- express their thinking using varied note formats (e.g., text, image, video, audio, drawing).
- easily access their digital learning space with a url or QR code, or by embedding a padlet in a website.
- participate in live and on-demand learning.
Padlet is highly customizable. Instructors can structure learners’ participation with modifiable prompts, formats, backgrounds, and templates. Finally, instructors can archive learning for future reference on the web or as image or PDF.
Subscribe to our newsletter for the chance to win a free virtual LoravoreⓇ Learning session!
Learning Example | Build a Learning Community with Padlet and Reality Pedagogy
In a recent article, Dr. Christopher Emdin, a professor of science education at Columbia University, puts forth the idea of reality pedagogy. That is the practice of teaching that allows for students to learn in a space that welcomes and cares about their ideas and experiences, but also connects their classroom learning to what’s happening in the world during crisis or boon. He pushes us to consider our reality — the coronavirus pandemic, and how reality pedagogy might help us build a learning community that connects classrooms to the real-world and learners to each other.
How can a digital learning tool like Padlet empower us to engage learners in reality pedagogy and build community ?
This summer, I facilitated virtual professional learning communities with teachers, coaches, and administrators from across the country. These committed educators engaged in meaningful conversations and collaborations where they considered how to best deliver effective digital instruction for learners in their school, home, or blended spaces.
To grow our learning community, I asked these curious educators to introduce themselves in our Digital About Me Gallery using Padlet. They posted a short video in response to the follow prompt:
After sharing their posts, these connected educators reacted to colleagues with whom they noticed something in common or simply enjoyed their video and posted comments and questions to continue their conversations.
Why was this digital learning experience effective?
Padlet provided a digital space for community building. Yet, it was the reality pedagogy that engaged these committed, curious, and connected educators in our learning community. I didn’t ask participants to consider what they were learning as separate from their current reality — both professional and personal. Their ideas, anecdotes, and emotions were welcome and cared for during this experience, which is vital for building a learning community in digital spaces.
|Register for a 30-minute Empower Session by LoravoreⓇ Learning. Empower yourself and your team to deliver effective digital instruction.|
Learning Experience | Real Talk! Building a Learning Community during Challenging Times
Whew! Many months later, we are still supporting learning during a global pandemic. Thank you for your perseverance and resilience during these challenging times. When life gives you challenges, build community!
Welcome to our LoravoreⓇ Learning Community! Please introduce yourself in our padlet below.
- Click the Add Button [+] to post your introductory video. Type your full name in the “Title” section. Click the Options Button [···] to add your video via Film.
Please feel free to use another note format (e.g., audio, image, drawing, etc) to introduce yourself.
Thank you for participating in our LoravoreⓇ Learning Community!
Schedule your personalized Codesign Session by LoravoreⓇ Learning. Design effective digital instruction.
Additional LoravoreⓇ Learning Resources
- LoravoreⓇ Learning | Power Up Interactive Video with Formative Assessment
- LoravoreⓇ Learning | Empowering Learning with Interactive Video
- LoravoreⓇ Learning | Building a Learning Community with Padlet
- Loravore®️ Learning Design Notebook | Entry: 003 Increase Learning during Peer Presentations
- Loravore®️ Learning Design Notebook | Entry: 001 Facilitate Face-to-Face Peer Discussions
- Loravore®️ Learning Design Notebook | Entry: 002 Increase Student Efficacy in Using Digital Recording Tools for Learning